Every now and then, while trying to open a folder containing video files, you might encounter an error like this: “COM Surrogate has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available”. The message, apart from being irritating and preventing you from opening any video files, won’t disappear even after having closed the folder. The cause of this error message is due to the fact that you are using a software to watch videos which has not been updated or it is not compatible with Windows Vista. There are a lot of tricks and hacks to solve this issue, some of them will work for you while other won’t. Find out which one is the right solution to solve the problem.
- Click Start.
- In the Search Box type CMD
- Right click on the Command Prompt icon.
- Click Run as Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt black window type: regsvr32 %windir%/System32/vbscript.dll and hit Enter.
- The system will return with the following message: DLL Register Server in C:\Windows\System32/vbscript.dll has been successful.
- Now click Start.
- Click Computer on the right.
- Click Folder and Search.
- Click the View tab.
- Tick Always show icons never thumbnails.
Another easier solution is to upgrade your programs such as: Nero and Divx. Anyway sometimes even after having updated those software the issue could persist. If that’s your case try this trick:
- Rename C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\DSFilter\NeVideo.ax to NeVideo.ax.bakup.
- Rename NeVideoHD.ax to NeVideoHD.bakup
The ffdshow codec pack has been known as one of the reasons that causes the COM Surrogate error. In this case just try to update it here: http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/
Update all of your codecs to the latest version here. As a matter of fact it has been reported that the COM issue just disappears after having installed the above download.
Just upgrade all of your software used to watch videos.
Tags: Divx, hack, trick, video, Windows Vista
- com surrogate has stopped working
- com surrogate has stopped working windows 7
- surrogate has stopped working
- COM surrogate stopped working
- com surrogate stopped working and was closed
- How to Change and Use Timezone (Tzutil) in Windows 7
- Enhance the Security of your Login Password in Windows 7
- How to Activate Hardware Acceleration and WebGL in Opera 12
- Fix “This PC Doesn’t Meet System Requirements. If You Want to Install Windows 8, You May Have to Upgrade…” Error
19 Comments to “How to fix “COM Surrogate has stopped working” issue”
Leave a Comment
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.