As you know one of the most powerful tool in Windows (all of it versions) is its Task Manager. With it you can observe and check a variety of things such as: computer performance, CPU usage, memory usage, physical memory, kernel memory, number and type of processes which are running on your computer, number and kind of users connected, network connection, network activity and statistics etc. To activate it, it is just sufficient to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and choose Task Manager. Anyway, if you are an Administrator you might want to disable it to prevent your users from seeing too many “sensitive” information about your machine and deactivating some important process. Here is the hack to disable the Task Manager:
- Click Start.
- Type regedit on the Search Bar and hit Enter.
- Locate the follwowing key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ System (from current logged user). On local computer for all users locate this key instead: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ System
- If the System key doesn’t exist, you can create it by right clicking on Policies, and select New -> Key. After that name the new key System
- Right click on the System Key and create and new 32-bit DWORD and name it DisableTaskManger.
- Give the new key the value 1 by double clicking on it.
- Close the regedit.
- Without rebooting the computer, now users will not be able to access the Task Manager anymore.
- To revert the hack, simply delete the DisableTaskManager key.
Tags: hack, Windows Vista, Windows XP
Related Articles Latest Articles
- How to Change and Use Timezone (Tzutil) in Windows 7
- Enhance the Security of your Login Password in Windows 7
- How to Activate Hardware Acceleration and WebGL in Opera 12
- Fix “This PC Doesn’t Meet System Requirements. If You Want to Install Windows 8, You May Have to Upgrade…” Error
Leave a Comment
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.