All Microsoft’s Operating Systems have special built-in tools which, by default, associate files to certain program extensions so that when you double-click on an icon representing a file, the proper program will open it correctly. So, for example, when you click on a file having .jpg extension, Windows Photo Gallery will let you see a pictures, if you click on a file having .txt extension, Notepad will let you read a document and so on. If you want to change this extension association in Windows Vista, so that a particular file will be opened by a specific program you wish to use, here is the trick to apply.
- Right click on a file you want to use a specific program for.
- Click Properties.
- Under General tab, click Change.
- A new window will appear containing a list of Recommended Programs to use, and another list for Other Programs. Sometimes, for this second list you will have to find, by clicking on the Browse button, the exact folder on your computer where the executable file .exe is located. (such a file represents the program you want to use).
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Programs.
- Under default Programs, click make a file type always open in a specific program. (in the Classic View, open Default Programs and then click Associate a file type or protocol with a program).
- A new window named Set Association will appear.
- Choose and highlight the program you want to use with a specific file.
- Click Change Program.
- A new window will appear containing a list of Recommended Programs to use, and another list for Other Programs. Sometimes, for this second list you will have to find, by clicking on the Browse exe button, the exact folder on your computer where the executable file . is located. (such a file represents the program you want to use).
Tags: trick, Windows Vista
- how to change how a file is opened
- change the way files are opened
- how do i change the way i open downloads
- how do i change what downloader i use to open online downloads
- how do you change how documents are opened
- How do you change the program that is being used to open a file?
- How to Change and Use Timezone (Tzutil) in Windows 7
- Enhance the Security of your Login Password in Windows 7
- How to Activate Hardware Acceleration and WebGL in Opera 12
- Fix “This PC Doesn’t Meet System Requirements. If You Want to Install Windows 8, You May Have to Upgrade…” Error
3 Comments to “How to change the program used to open a file (Extension Association)”
Leave a Comment
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.