All Microsoft’s Operating Systems have special built-in tools which, by default, associate files to certain program extensions so that when you double-click on an icon representing a file, the proper program will open it correctly. So, for example, when you click on a file having .jpg extension, Windows Photo Gallery will let you see a pictures, if you click on a file having .txt extension, Notepad will let you read a document and so on. If you want to change this extension association in Windows Vista, so that a particular file will be opened by a specific program you wish to use, here is the trick to apply.
- Right click on a file you want to use a specific program for.
- Click Properties.
- Under General tab, click Change.
- A new window will appear containing a list of Recommended Programs to use, and another list for Other Programs. Sometimes, for this second list you will have to find, by clicking on the Browse button, the exact folder on your computer where the executable file .exe is located. (such a file represents the program you want to use).
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- Click Programs.
- Under default Programs, click make a file type always open in a specific program. (in the Classic View, open Default Programs and then click Associate a file type or protocol with a program).
- A new window named Set Association will appear.
- Choose and highlight the program you want to use with a specific file.
- Click Change Program.
- A new window will appear containing a list of Recommended Programs to use, and another list for Other Programs. Sometimes, for this second list you will have to find, by clicking on the Browse exe button, the exact folder on your computer where the executable file . is located. (such a file represents the program you want to use).
- how to change how a file is opened
- how to change way file is openend
- how do you change how to open a download file
- how to change how a document is opened
- How to Recover and Get Back Deleted Files, Folders, Emails etc from your Hard Disk Trash Bin
- How to Fix and Turn Off “Do You Want to View YouTube.com in Full Screen?” Nagging Message on Windows 8 and 7
- How to Turn Off “Only Secure Content is Displayed – Show All Content” Message in Internet Explorer 11
- How to Solve KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED igdkmd64.sys Error in Windows 10
3 Comments to “How to change the program used to open a file (Extension Association)”
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.