If you are a hard gamer and you like playing on your Windows Vista with games which change your screen resolution when they are launched, you should know only too well that, once you close your games and the screen goes back to its original resolution, all of your desktop icons are switched and relocated in different sections of the desktop. At this point the only way out you have got to put them back to their original positions, is to drag them one by one. Let’s learn how to save and restore your desktop icons’position with this simple hack.
- Download this file for Vista 32-bit or Vista 64-bit.
- Open the zipped file and extract all of its content in C:WindowsSystem32 directory
- Double click on the Layout.reg file. This file will modify your Windows registry.
- Now, click Start.
- Right click on Computer.
- In the Computer menu, you should be able to see 2 new options: “Save Desktop Icon Layout” and “Restore Desktop Icon Layout”.
- Arrange the icons on the desktop the way you like and save their position by clicking on “Save Desktop Icon Layout”.
- Done! Next time your icons will be all messed-up just click on “Restore Desktop Icon Layout” and they will go back to their original position.
- To uninstall the registry hack delete the layout.dll file. After that download this zipped file, open it, double click on the registry file, turn off and on your computer and you are done.
- restore desktop icons to original position
- desktop icons disappear when changing resolution
- How to Fix and Turn Off “Do You Want to View YouTube.com in Full Screen?” Nagging Message on Windows 8 and 7
- How to Turn Off “Only Secure Content is Displayed – Show All Content” Message in Internet Explorer 11
- How to Solve KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED igdkmd64.sys Error in Windows 10
- How to Prevent Microsoft Internet Edge from Showing Pop-Up Notification
9 Comments to “Restore the position of desktop icons after changing screen resolution”
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.