Every now and then the shortcut icons placed on the desktop of your Windows Vista and Windows 7 may turn, without any apparent reason, completely white or blank. It looks like icons have been unassigned to the programs and applications they were linked to. Here is how to fix this issue.
Before staring describing the procedure let me tell you that this issue is due to an error in the icon cache database. The procedure that follows is going to fix this issue by manually rebuilding such database.
- Locate the following folder: C:\Users\AppData\Local\
- Most probability the AppData folder is hidden from view. To make it fully visible just go to Organize – Folder and Search Options – View tab. Now select Show hidden files, folders and drives, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
- Once you have got access in the AppData folder, just delete IconCache.db.
- Now, create a new file named IconCache.db, and set it to Read Only by going to Properties.
- Restart the computer for the change to take effect.
- Right after, right click the file you just created and from Propierties remove the Read only attribute.
Tags: hack, Windows 7, Windows Vista
- blank white icon on desktop
- desktop icons blank windows 7
- Fix Desktop Shortcut Icons
- windows 7 desktop icons blank
- windows 7 blank desktop fix
- windows 7 all shortcuts are blank
- How to Change and Use Timezone (Tzutil) in Windows 7
- Enhance the Security of your Login Password in Windows 7
- How to Activate Hardware Acceleration and WebGL in Opera 12
- Fix “This PC Doesn’t Meet System Requirements. If You Want to Install Windows 8, You May Have to Upgrade…” Error
7 Comments to “How to fix blank desktop shortcut icons”
Leave a Comment
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.