As you know, on bootup, Windows 7 and Vista give you a Welcome screen with a list of user accounts created on the computer. Such a list is available only in the case such accounts have been password-protected. If you don’t like the idea that other users may see your account and you wish to hide it and protect your privacy, here is a simple hack to disply only the fields to inster the username and password, in perfect Windows XP style.
- Click Start.
- In the Search field, type regedit and press Enter.
- Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software \Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Policies \System.
- In the right pane, double click the DontDisplayLastName and set its value to 1.
- Click OK to confirm.
- Restart the computer for the change to take effect.
If the above hack doesn’t work, try this:
- Go to your Windows registry and locate this key: HKEY_Local_Machine \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ SpecialAccounts\UserList
- Now, right-click the UserList folder located on the left pane and from the menu, select New – DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Name the new DWORD as the username you want to hide and click OK.
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
- Upon restaring your computer, you should see that the account you wanted to hide won’t disappear on the welcome screen!
- add admin account user win 7 without showing on welcome screen
- How to Search for Content in any File in Windows 10
- How to Block and Restrict Other Users Access to Windows 10 Registry Editor
- Easy Trick to Find Out the WiFi Password of a Internet Connection (No Hacking Required)
- How to Save, Backup and Restore All Drivers in Windows 10
11 Comments to “How to Hide User Accounts from the Welcome Screen in Windows 7 and Vista”
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.