In case you don’t know what I am talking about, the default folder icon is the yellow folder available in Windows Explorer which contains some files. Such icon has been the same for years now and has not changed in any Windows operating system release. This hack will show you how to change it to something else of your choice.
- Click Start.
- In the Search field, type regedit and press Enter.
- Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer
- In the left pane, right- click Explorer and from the menu select New Key.
- Type Shell Icons and press Enter.
- Now, click Shell Icons and in the right pane, right click any empty space.
- From the menu, select New – String Value.
- Type 3 and hit Enter.
- Right-click the key called 3 and Modify.
- Type the path leading to the icon or image you want to use as default folder icon.
- Keep in mind that you must use a 256×256 pixel icon .ico. Browse the Internet with Google to find hundreds of these icons (use the 256×256 .ico keyword on Google Image to find tons of icons).
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Related Articles Latest Articles
- How to Search for Content in any File in Windows 10
- How to Block and Restrict Other Users Access to Windows 10 Registry Editor
- Easy Trick to Find Out the WiFi Password of a Internet Connection (No Hacking Required)
- How to Save, Backup and Restore All Drivers in Windows 10
One Comment to “How to Change the Default Folder Icon in Windows 7”
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.