On Google Chrome 8 you can turn on and enable (as well as disable, of course) the new, fast GPU hardware acceleration which offers you a better performance when it comes to playing online games (just think of those wonderful online multiplayer games) or online streaming videos and movies. Let me tell you upfront the this feature is still in a experimental mode, so it might undergo crashes and issues. Besides, Internet Explorer 9 has already its GPU engine, so it was only a natural steps for Google to implement the hardware accelerator on its browser! GPU engine will let user experience 3D graphics in the browser and other multimedia content which require special piece of software to use your computer power.
- Open Google Chrome.
- In the address bar, type about: flags
- This will open inside your Chrome a special page containing experimental pieces of software which will be soon implemented for all users. It can be considered a kind of “test page”.
- Now, look for GPU Accelerated Compositing and WebGL and click Enable.
As I stated above, this new feature may cause browser crashes. If you get in trouble, reverse the above procedure and click Disable to remove the GPU feature from Chrome.
If your Chrome keeps restarting so that you won’t be able to gain access to it anymore, you can turn off the hardware acceleration by right-clicking the Chrome icon on your desktop, and:
- Click the Shortcut tab.
- In the target field, after: C:\Users\User_name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe append the following line which will force the system to block the GPU. Here is the line (command): –disable-accelerated-compositing
- The new, resulting string will be : C:\Users\User_name\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe –disable-accelerated-compositing.
- Don’t forget to add a space between the default address and the command which stops the GPU.
- After that go to the about: flags and turn off the experimental feature.
- chrome disable hardware acceleration
- chrome disable gpu
- disable hardware acceleration chrome
- chrome deslect hardware acceleration
- how to turn off chrome gpu acceleration
- HOW TO DISVLE HARDWARE ACCLERATION OG CHOME THROUGH CMD
- How to Change and Use Timezone (Tzutil) in Windows 7
- Enhance the Security of your Login Password in Windows 7
- How to Activate Hardware Acceleration and WebGL in Opera 12
- Fix “This PC Doesn’t Meet System Requirements. If You Want to Install Windows 8, You May Have to Upgrade…” Error
4 Comments to “How to Turn On/ Disable GPU Hardware Acceleration on Google Chrome”
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.