Grooveshark is a legal, online music search engine able to stream thousands of songs. A couple of Web Talk readers asked me if there are any free Grooveshark ripper able to save and rip music from this great website. To tell you the truth, before finding a valid, free solution to this issue I had to search the Internet quite a lot. In fact, apparently there are not free utility able to rip streaming music from website like Grooveshark and, useless to say, the quest was quite hard. In the end I found something which will do the trick in a couple of easy steps. The solution is a free program called WireShark whose goal is to capture and cache streaming audio and save it on your computer.
WireShark is a free, open-source, Internet packer analyzer able to capture any data send over the Internet. Here is the easy tutorial that will show you how to save anything from GrooveShark!
- Download WireShark and install it on your computer. Keep in mind that such utility is free and open source so you don’t have to pay anything to get it!
- Open WireShark and click Options – Capture.
- Under the Capture Filter section, simply enter port 80 and start capturing.
- Now go to GrooveShark and start capturing your music. (Hey! That’s the easiest part!).
- At this point on WireShark main widow you should be able to see a lot of lines and commands.
- On the upper left side of WireShark you should be able to see a field, a filter box. Enter
http.content_type == "audio/mpeg".
- Click Enter of your keyboard.
- WireShark system will return you only one line. This line correspond to the song you are listening to!
- Click the line once. Hit Stop if the program will try to process it. Now, in the middle pane click the Media Type line (again, Stop if necessary). Now, in order to save the song, right-click the Media Type line, and choose Export Selected Packet Bytes (This will cache the song on your PC).
- Save the file you just got somewhere as an mp3 file. To do this, simply choose All Files as filetype.
Related Articles Latest Articles
- How to Unlock and Remove PDF Passwords Using Google Chrome
- How to Recover and Get Back Deleted Files, Folders, Emails etc from your Hard Disk Trash Bin
- How to Fix and Turn Off “Do You Want to View YouTube.com in Full Screen?” Nagging Message on Windows 8 and 7
- How to Turn Off “Only Secure Content is Displayed – Show All Content” Message in Internet Explorer 11
9 Comments to “WireShark Analyzer. A Great GrooveShark Ripper Solution”
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.