The new Firefox 4 beta has got a bug that causes a nasty issue as far as the text rendering is concerned. Basically, text and font on every website and blog is blurry and bad thus preventing the user to have a smooth and nice web surfing experience. Such old issue is due to the new GPU hardware acceleration in Firefox 4 that should make Internet surfing faster and more performing. Firefox 4 uses the new Direct2D and DirectWrite technology that accelerate the way text, fonts, 3D objects and different objects are displayed on websites as well as online games. The downside of this technology is that text, links and fonts are rendered in a bad way. In fact, some text get “fatter” while other one seems to be thinner and unnaturally shaped. Let’s see how to fix such issue.
At the time writing the only workaround available to temporary patch such issue is to disable and turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox.
- Open Firefox.
- Click Firefox menu.
- Click Options.
- Click Advanced.
- Click the Advanced Section that should be the last tab on the Options window.
- In the General tab, under the browsing section, untick the Use hardware acceleration when available checkbox.
- Click OK.
- Restart the browser for the change to take effect.
Such workaround is not an optimal solution to the blurry fonts and text issue as it turns off hardware acceleration completely, thus slowing down the rendering of websites. As a result, all websites and blogs will be displayed slowing. The other workaround I am about to show you will fix the blurry issue without disabling the hardware acceleration. However, it has to be said that I do not know if such solution is going to work for everybody as it strictly depends on the hardware specs of the computer.
- Turn off Firefox 4.
- Right-click on any blank, empty space on the computer desktop.
- Click Appearance and Personalization from the menu and try to open nVidia control panel.
- Under the Adjust image settings with preview section, click the for Use the advanced 3D image settings radio button.
- On the right of such option you should notice a link labeled as “Take me There”. Click it.
- Click the Global Settings tab (it should be already opened). Now, make sure that Anisotropic Filtering is set to Application-Controlled.
- Now, click the Program Settings tab. Under the Select a Program to Customize section, select Firefox from the list. Under the Specify the Settings for this Program, turn off the Anisotropic filtering.
- Turn on Firefox 4.
Tags: bugs, Firefox, trick
- firefox text blurry
- firefox blurred
- firefox text is blurry
- How to Change and Use Timezone (Tzutil) in Windows 7
- Enhance the Security of your Login Password in Windows 7
- How to Activate Hardware Acceleration and WebGL in Opera 12
- Fix “This PC Doesn’t Meet System Requirements. If You Want to Install Windows 8, You May Have to Upgrade…” Error
2 Comments to “How to Fix Blurry Text Rendering in Firefox 4”
Leave a Comment
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.