A lot of users are complaining about the latest Adobe Reader X. In fact, every time they open it a “Open a recent File” splash screen pop-ups on the computer monitor. This is very annoying and disturbing because if you open a pdf document you will have to manually close the screen if you want to view your document or turn off Adobe. Such a issue also appears after all files are closed. Adobe Reader X will show the box screen with a list of the latest, most used files. Let’s see how to turn off and remove the offending screen for good!
If you want to disable the “Open a recent file” screen in Adobe Reader X, follow the below steps. Please note that this is a bug and at the moment there is no setting to tweak in order to turn off this “feature”. The only way we can fix it is to reduce and diminish the list from the default 5 files to 1 (0 is not available).
- Click Start.
- In the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
- Locate the following Windows registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Adobe\ Adobe Acrobat\ 10.0\ AVGeneral\ cRecentFiles
- Delete it the key for good.
The above trick is only a temporary solution as the listing will get populated by other entries as you open new pdf files. A more “stable” solution is to apply the procedure below to clear and temporary remove the “Open a recent file” screen whenever you want.
- Open your Windows Notepad.
- Save the files as ClearAcrobatRecent.reg
- Please make sure the new file will have .reg extension and not .txt extension.
- Place the file on the desktop.
- Whenever the recently opened files become too full with entries, click the ClearAcrobatRecent.reg file.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
- how to delete recent files on acrobat
- delete acrobat reader recent file
- how to clear recenct adove files X1
- how to delet jumplist in acobat
- How to Search for Content in any File in Windows 10
- How to Block and Restrict Other Users Access to Windows 10 Registry Editor
- Easy Trick to Find Out the WiFi Password of a Internet Connection (No Hacking Required)
- How to Save, Backup and Restore All Drivers in Windows 10
11 Comments to “Turn Off and Remove Adobe Reader X “Open a Recent File” Screen Issue”
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.