USB Pen Drives are very used nowadays to carry any kind of files. From photos to important data. The reason of this, is their usability and the fact that they are very small and light. But, because of these reasons they are the most insecure devices to carry your stuff. In fact, they can be lost very easily, without speaking about thieves that can steal them without you noticing! The only way to secure them is to password protect them and in fact in the Internet there are plenty of software that promises to lock your USB drive and pens without any fuss. But what if I tell you that you can achieve the same result (namely password protect your USB drive) without any software? Let’s see how to do this with this simple tricks and a feature embedded in Windows 7, 8 and the latest Windows 10.
- Plug your USB drive to your Windows 10 computer.
- Now, go to Go to – Control Panel -System and Security -BitLocker Drive Encryption.
- Under Removable data drives – BitLocker to go, you can see your USB pen. Click Turn on BitLocker.
- A dialog window will appear on your computer screen. Under Choose How You Want to Lock This Drive, tick the Use a Password to Unlock the Drive.
- Type and retype the password you chose.
- Now, under How Do You Want to Back Up your Recovery Key, you will have to choose a method. I advise you to choose “Save to a File”.
- After choosing the way to back up your key, you will be faced with a new option called: “Choose how much of your drive to encrypt”.
- I advice you to choose the fastest way, namely: Encrypt Used Disk Space Only.
- Click Next.
- Choose Encryption mode: Choose a compatible mode and click the next button.
- Click the Start Encrypting button and wait some minutes.
- Now, to test your new USB encrypted, password protected USB pen, remove it from your computer and reinsert!
- As you see you will be prompted to insert a password!
- Enjoy your password protected USB Drive/Pen (Done Without any Software by the way!)
Related Articles Latest Articles
- How to Search for Content in any File in Windows 10
- How to Block and Restrict Other Users Access to Windows 10 Registry Editor
- Easy Trick to Find Out the WiFi Password of a Internet Connection (No Hacking Required)
- How to Save, Backup and Restore All Drivers in Windows 10
Leave a Comment
Web Talk is best viewed in Firefox.